The sweetness of beets pairs nicely with savory toasted sesame oil, tangy rice vinegar and lime juice, and creamy avocado. If you can find multicolored beets, you’ll have a truly eye-catching dish.
- beets (such as red, golden, and/or Chioggia)
- green onions, thinly sliced
- sesame seeds
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- slivered almonds
- toasted sesame oil
- rice vinegar
- tamari, coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- fresh lime juice (optional)
- avocado, diced
- Halve or quarter the beets, depending on their size. Add to a saucepan, cover with water and a lid, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until you can easily pierce the beets with a fork. Pour out the cooking water and cover the beets with cold water. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins using your fingers.
- Dice the beets and add to a serving bowl. Add the green onions, sesame seeds, cilantro, and almonds. In a small bowl or measuring cup with a spout, mix the sesame oil, rice vinegar, tamari, and lime juice or just drizzle each on top of the salad and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the avocado, toss gently, and serve.