Don’t know what to do with some fresh herbs lurking in the fridge or growing in your kitchen garden? Here’s a no-cook, very versatile topping to perk up a bowl of soup or a pasta or rice dish. Great also as a spread on a taco or pita pocket. For a little more substance, blend in some chickpeas or hummus.
- slivered toasted almonds
- toasted pine nuts
- garlic, sliced
- homemade vegetable broth or water
- mixed fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, dill, oregano, sage, thyme, mint, and rosemary), coarsely chopped
- jalapeño chile, coarsely chopped
- jarred capers, with or without their brine
- lettuce leaves of choice (such as romaine, green leaf, or red leaf), coarsely chopped
In a blender, place the almonds, pine nuts, and garlic with a splash of broth. Blend until coarsely ground. Add the herbs, jalapeño, capers, and lettuce and blend together, adding more broth to make it creamy. Taste and adjust the flavor, adding more lettuce if too spicy.