Just a few flavor-packed ingredients make this salad toasty, tangy, and sweet. If you have carrots in the fridge, dice them and roast them along with the beets.
- beets of choice (red, golden, and Chioggia beets)
- olive oil
- kale of choice, tough center ribs removed
- kosher salt
- slivered almonds
- sesame seeds
- toasted sesame oil
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim the beet tops and bottoms and scrub the beets until clean. Cut into bite-size pieces. Toss with olive oil, transfer to the prepared baking sheet, and bake until the beets are soft and the edges are browned. Remove from the oven and let cool. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut the kale leaves into ribbons and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with a couple of pinches of salt. With your hands, massage the salt into the kale leaves until the leaves turn darker and begin to soften and release their moisture. Transfer to a salad spinner, wash off the salt, and spin dry.
- Add the kale, almonds, and sesame seeds to the bowl with the beets. Drizzle with sesame oil and balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more oil, vinegar, and salt and/or a sprinkle of lemon juice.