Purple cabbage, red radishes, yellow sweet pepper, and green cucumber, fennel, and kale make for an eye-catching, tasty salad, and the beans and tofu make it substantial. For the eye-catching part, chop everything about the same size so they look like jewels. The rice-cake “croutons” add a nice crunch (feel free to use the crumbles at the bottom of the rice cakes bag!).
- lacinato kale (aka dino kale or cavolo nero)
- kosher salt
- fennel bulb, chopped
- radishes, cut into half-moons
- green onion, thinly sliced
- Asian, Mediterranean, or English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- red cabbage, cored and chopped
- extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- cooked cannellini beans, pinto beans, or beans of choice, drained
- caraway seeds
- curry powder
- toasted pecan pieces
- chopped parsley or cilantro
- mayonnaise of choice
- mustard of choice
- fruit vinegar, white balsamic vinegar, or vinegar of choice
- brown-rice rice cakes (optional)
- Remove and discard the large ribs from the kale. Chop the leaves into small pieces and place in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and massage until the leaves darken and begin to release their moisture. Rinse off the salt and drain.
- In a large bowl, add the kale, fennel, radishes, green onion, cucumber, sweet pepper, cabbage, tofu, beans, caraway seeds, curry powder, pecans, and parsley and toss to combine. Add a spoonful each of mayonnaise and mustard and a splash of vinegar, crumble rice cakes on top, and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, toss, and serve.