If you didn’t know better, you’d think these cauliflower florets were deep-fried because they are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside—but instead they’re battered and baked until crisp. This recipe makes enough batter and topping for quite a large cauliflower. Fill soft tacos with these cauliflower nuggets, as on the Blissful Basil blog that inspired this recipe, accompanied by Seasoned Crispy Tofu either inside or alongside the tacos.
- large cauliflower
For the batter:
- 1¼ cups nondairy milk
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
For the topping:
- 1¼ cups mixed grains/seeds (such as gluten-free rolled oats, flax seeds, and quinoa) or only gluten-free rolled oats
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped fresh oregano or dried oregano
- green onion, very thinly sliced
- smoked paprika
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- ground turmeric
- curry powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- chile powder (such as New Mexico, cayenne, or chipotle)
- smoked salt or kosher salt
- warmed corn tortillas
- shredded cabbage
- cilantro leaves
- salsa and/or hot sauce
- avocado slices
- lime or lemon wedges
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the batter: In a large bowl, add the milk, flour, and lime juice and whisk until smooth.
- To make the topping: In a food processor, process the grains/seeds until a coarse meal forms, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a large, shallow bowl. Mix in the cilantro, oregano, green onion, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, curry powder, black pepper, and chile powder and season with salt.
- Place a a handful of cauliflower florets into the batter. Using tongs, toss to coat and shake off any excess. Toss in the topping to coat and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining florets. Bake until crispy and golden, 25 to 30 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking. If not quite crispy enough, turn on the broiler and broil, watching carefully so they don’t burn, until done the way you like. Let cool slightly.
- Serve inside warmed tortillas with cabbage, cilantro, salsa and/or hot sauce, avocado slices, and a squeeze of lime.