No cooking is required for this refreshing main-course salad.
- cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained if canned
- super-firm tofu or seasoned tofu, cut into cubes
- mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Asian, English, or Persian cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise and thinly cut crosswise
- red or yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- jalapeño chile, thinly sliced
- store-bought or homemade pesto of choice or mayonnaise of choice
- toasted slivered almonds
- raw or toasted pumpkin seeds
- balsamic vinegar or vinegar of choice
- rice cakes, preferably brown rice
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, tofu, mushrooms, cucumber, sweet pepper, and jalapeñol. Add a tablespoonful of pesto and the nuts and seeds, season with vinegar and more pesto, and toss well.
- Cut the avocado into cubes and place on top of the salad. Break the rice cakes into tiny bits. Gently toss the salad until just combined and serve.