Do you have leftover rice, grains, beans, or lentils in your fridge? These tacos are a perfect way to use them at any meal and are oh so good, even if a bit messy.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- serrano chile or jalapeño chile, thinly sliced (optional)
- onion, chopped
- Padron, Guindilla, or green bell peppers, cut into small dice
- mushrooms, chopped
- cooked rice, grains, beans, or lentils or a mixture
- fennel seeds
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- corn tortillas
- avocado slices
- store-bought or homemade salsa (optional)
- hot-pepper sauce (optional)
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the serrano, if using, in one layer and cook, undisturbed, until sizzling. Stir in the onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until completely soft and browned in places. Stir in the cooked rice, grains, beans, and/or lentils. Add the fennel seeds and cook until the mixture is heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, warm the tortillas in a toaster or toaster oven or wrap in a kitchen towel and microwave. Fill the warm tortillas with the vegetable mixture, top with avocado slices, salsa, and hot-pepper sauce, and enjoy.