A tasty main-course salad, this dish’s ingredients are very flexible. Feel free to add or replace with any other chopped raw vegetables that you have on hand—carrots, celery, radishes, daikon, jicama, snow peas or sugar snap peas—it just depends on how much energy you have to prep them. If you have the interest, consider adding chopped grilled vegetables, such as zucchini or roasted potatoes. Blanching the cabbage in boiling water and cooling it in ice water mellows the flavor a bit but retains the crunchiness.
- small green cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- frozen shelled edamame
- soba noodles or brown rice spaghetti
- green onions, thinly sliced
- Asian, Persian, or English cucumber, quartered and sliced
- mushrooms, thickly sliced
- fresh corn cut from the cob or rinsed canned corn kernels (optional)
- sweet peppers, chopped
- jalapeño chile, thinly sliced (optional)
- rice vinegar or vinegar of choice
- toasted sesame oil
- Sriracha chili sauce
- tamari or soy sauce
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- slivered toasted almonds
- toasted sesame seeds
- toasted sunflower seeds
- chia seeds
- super-firm tofu or seasoned tofu, cubed
- medium-boiled egg per person, peeled (optional)
- Have ready a bowl of ice water. Blanch the cabbage for 1 or 2 minutes in boiling water and immediately transfer to the ice water to stop the cooking. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cabbage to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook the edamame according to the package directions and chill more ice water. Drain the edamame, submerge in the ice water, drain again, and add to the bowl with the cabbage.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions and chill more ice water. Drain the noodles, submerge in the ice water, drain again, and add to the bowl.
- Add the green onions, cucumbers, mushrooms, corn, sweet peppers, and jalapeño to the bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by drizzling the salad with a little vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha, and tamari. Sprinkle with cilantro, almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, and tofu. Toss, taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve in individual bowls with an egg and enjoy!