Here’s a salute to summer zucchini. For a main dish, add a large quantity of the vegetables to serve over your favorite grain or pasta; for a first-course soup, add more juicy tomatoes. Instead of the mix of spices listed, use any spice mix or grill rub that you enjoy.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- mushrooms, thickly sliced
- red onion, chopped
- sweet peppers, chopped
- jalapeño chile, sliced
- chopped fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes with juices
- kosher salt
- zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
- super-firm tofu, cubed (optional)
- mixed ground spices (such as cayenne, caraway, cumin, coriander, and garlic powder)
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- Warm the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms in one layer and cook, without stirring, until browned. Lower the heat to medium. Stir in the onion, peppers, and chile, cover, and cook until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, cover, and cook until the tomatoes are cooked through. Add the zucchini and tofu, cover, and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is soft. If the mixture becomes dry, add a splash of water.
- Stir in the mixed spices and cook a minute longer. Season with salt to taste and a few grinds of pepper, sprinkle with the parsley, drizzle with some olive oil, and serve.