A twist on the American egg-and-potato breakfast combo, here the eggs are cooked atop potato-cauliflower mash flavored with caramelized onion and sweet pepper.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- onion, sliced
- sweet pepper or chile, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- potatoes, cut into chunks
- cauliflower, cut into small florets
- butter (optional)
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook, without stirring, until sizzling and slightly browned. Stir in the sweet pepper. Season with salt and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, making sure the vegetables don’t burn.
- Meanwhile, steam the potatoes and cauliflower until completely soft. Mash the potatoes and cauliflower together with a few tablespoonfuls of their steaming water and butter (if using). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the mash to the frying pan with the onion and sweet pepper and stir to combine.
- With a spatula, spread and smooth the mash. Make a well in the mash for each egg and crack one egg in each well. Cover and cook, undisturbed, lowering the heat so the mash doesn’t burn, until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your desired doneness. Scoop an egg along with the mash onto warmed plates and enjoy.