For a shorter cooking time, soak the rice in hot water for an hour or two first, then drain and rinse before cooking. Serve with kidney beans or other cooked legumes to make a heartier meal.
- brown rice or rice of choice, rinsed and drained
- coconut oil
- mushrooms, thickly sliced
- red onion, sliced in half-moons
- sweet pepper, cut into strips
- fresh chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- green cabbage, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- garlic cloves, minced
- fennel seeds
- caraway seeds (optional)
- hot-pepper sauce (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- tamari soy sauce (optional)
- toasted sunflower seeds
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker, on the stovetop as you usually do, or as directed on the package, adding a knob of coconut oil to the cooking water to flavor the rice.
- In a large frying pan, warm more coconut oil over medium heat. When shimmering, add the mushrooms in a single layer and cook, without stirring, until browned. Move to the edge of the pan. Add the onions to the center of the pan and cook, without stirring, for several minutes until browned. Stir to combine. Add the sweet pepper. Cover and cook until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the tomatoes, stir, cover, lower the heat, and simmer until the vegetables create a sauce. Stir in the cabbage, cover, and continue to simmer until softened. Add the garlic, fennel seeds, and caraway seeds and stir to combine.
- Taste the sauce and season to taste with hot-pepper sauce, pepper, and tamari. Fluff the rice, divide the rice among bowls, add the cabbage mixture, top with sunflower seeds, and serve.