Juicy, crunchy, sweet, and tangy—this salad has it all. You can use any salad veggies you like, such as radishes, carrots, and sweet pepper. For bean lovers, add cooked beans, such as pintos or chickpeas. For egg lovers, add a hard-cooked egg. This salad was inspired by a friend (thanks, JS!).
- Tuscan kale (also known as lacinato, dinosaur, or black kale)
- kosher salt
- fruit vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- sugar snap peas, strings removed and thinly sliced
- cucumber, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
- green onions, thinly sliced
- super-firm tofu, diced (optional)
- chia seeds (optional)
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- toasted unsalted slivered or sliced almonds
- toasted sesame oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Strip the kale leaves from their stems (compost the stems). Rinse and dry the leaves (using a salad spinner if you have one). Coarsely chop or cut the leaves into strips and transfer to a large bowl. Lightly sprinkle the leaves with salt and massage with your hands until the leaves wilt and darken. Sprinkle vinegar over the leaves and massage some more.
- Add the snap peas, cucumber, fennel, green onions, tofu, chia seeds, sesame seeds, and almonds and toss well.
- Drizzle sesame oil over the salad, add a few grinds of pepper, and toss again. Season to taste with salt, vinegar, and sesame oil as needed and serve.