This salad contains the full spectrum: sweet, tangy, crunchy, herby, creamy. There’s no need to rinse or scrub the beets—just trim off the greens, put the beets in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until soft when pierced. Let them cool, then slip off the peels with your fingers. For the thyme sea salt, grind dried thyme with coarse sea salt in a small grinder—a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices works well. (Thyme sea salt is also tasty on warm freshly popped popcorn!)
- golden beets or Chioggia beets, boiled and peeled
- fennel bulb, diced
- red sweet pepper, diced
- pumpkin seeds
- avocado, cubed
- freshly ground pepper
- orange champagne vinegar or vinegar of choice
- extra-virgin olive oil
- thyme sea salt (or dried or fresh chopped thyme and kosher salt)
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Halve the beets and thinly slice crosswise. Add the beets to a large bowl. Stir in the fennel, sweet pepper, pumpkin seeds, avocado, and a few grinds of pepper and toss just to combine.
- Drizzle with vinegar and olive oil, sprinkle with thyme sea salt, and toss with the lemon juice. Adjust the seasonings and serve.