Any fresh vegetables work in this main-course spinach salad. In winter, that could be raw carrots, fennel bulb, salad turnips (aka white or pink Tokyo turnips), or kohlrabi. Steamed or roasted cauliflower, broccoli, or beets are a nice addition. For a vegan salad, substitute homemade seasoned tofu or tempeh for the eggs.
- fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- salad turnips, trimmed and chopped
- cooked white beans, such as cannellini beans
- pitted green olives or olives of choice
- hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- fruit vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or any tangy-sweet vinegar
- vegan or regular mayonnaise or garlic aioli
- Sriracha chili sauce
- prepared mustard of choice
- fresh cilantro or fresh parsley, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a salad spinner, wash and dry the spinach. Tear larger leaves into bite-size pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Add the fennel, turnips, beans, olives, and eggs and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl or directly in the salad, mix the vinegar, mayonnaise, Sriracha, and mustard. Toss the salad with the dressing. Sprinkle with the fresh herbs, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.