Inspired by a post from Green Kitchen Stories, my favorite food blog, this salad is light, tangy, and crunchy—perfect to accompany a winter soup or stew. It is also very flexible: You can substitute or add any nuts, seeds, or raw vegetables that you enjoy.
- red cabbage, thinly sliced
- red onion, thinly sliced
- kohlrabi, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks (optional)
- orange, yellow, or red sweet peppers, chopped
- jalapeño chile, minced
- pitted green olives
- tangerine sections, halved or quartered
- green onion, green part only, thinly sliced
- toasted pecan pieces
- lemon juice
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro leaves
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, red onion, kohlrabi, sweet peppers, jalapeño, olives, tangerine, green onion, and pecans. Drizzle lemon juice and olive oil over the mixture and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper, sprinkle with fresh parsley, and serve.