These simple ingredients turn out complex flavors, with the crispy rice adding a satisfying crunch. To get the crunchy texture, you’ll need leftover rice or freshly cooked rice that’s been chilled so that the rice is dry.
- cooked brown rice
- extra-virgin olive oil
- onion, sliced into half-moons
- tofu, diced (optional)
- garlic cloves, minced
- broccoli, chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- parsley, minced
- Heat the broiler in a toaster oven or regular oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the rice to the baking sheet in one thin layer and broil until toasted and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and tofu and cook without stirring for a minute or two, then stir occasionally until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and broccoli, stir, and cook, covered, until the broccoli begins to turn bright green. Add the lemon zest and juice, stir, and cook, covered, until broccoli is done the way you like it. Season to taste with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley, and serve over the crisped rice.