Using packaged precooked polenta (the type that comes in a log) simplifies the process because the polenta requires only a warming in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- coconut oil or oil of choice
- yellow onion, diced
- precooked polenta log, sliced and chopped
- unsweetened milk of choice (such as soy, almond, coconut, or rice; optional)
- herbes de Provence or dried or fresh chopped mixed herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, sage, or fennel)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Warm oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions, turn heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until soft. Uncover and continue cooking until lightly browned. Remove from the heat but keep the onions warm.
- Put the polenta into a large microwaveable bowl or in a saucepan, add a little water or milk, and mash it with a fork. Microwave or cook, covered, until heated through. Add more water or milk to get the consistency you want and cook until heated through.
- Stir the onions and herbs into the polenta. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.