The coconut oil and coconut shreds give this blended broccoli soup a tropical flair, and the potatoes give it creamy heft. You will need an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend the soup.
- coconut oil
- onion, coarsely chopped
- potatoes, coarsely chopped
- jalapeño chile, chopped (optional)
- kosher salt
- broccoli florets and stems, coarsely chopped
- unsweetened coconut shreds
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaves, slivered, or homemade or store-bought pesto
- sliced toasted almonds
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, potatoes, and chile, sprinkle with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown.
- Add water to just cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook until bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender, whirl the soup until smooth but still chunky.
- Stir in the coconut shreds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the basil, top with almonds, and serve.