If you’re a fan of pasta, potatoes, and pesto, you’ll love this combination. Inspired by a recipe from The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by the editors of America’s Test Kitchen.
- garlic cloves, unpeeled
- fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- seed or nut butter of choice (such as sunflower seed butter, almond butter or tahini)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- green beans or Romano beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- red or yellow potatoes, diced
- gluten-free pasta, such as brown rice pasta
- pitted green olives
- olive brine (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- toasted pine nuts
- Toast the unpeeled garlic cloves in a dry pan over medium heat, turning occasionally, until slight char spots appear on all sides of the cloves. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool, peel and chop the garlic. Whirl the garlic, fresh herbs, seed or nut butter, and oil in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt to taste and add water, as needed, to thin the mixture. Set aside.
- Steam the green beans until tender. Transfer to a colander, rinse briefly with cold water, drain, and transfer beans to a large bowl. In the same pot, steam or boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and add the potatoes to the large bowl with the beans. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and add to the large bowl with the vegetables. Stir in the pesto and the olives. Season to taste with salt or olive brine, if using, and pepper. Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve.