This colorful slaw is everything you’d want in a picnic or summer salad: tangy, crunchy, creamy, sweet, and spicy. To make it vegan and gluten-free, use an egg-free, gluten-free mustard and mayonnaise (Vegenaise is a tasty mayo choice).
- ear of fresh corn, unhusked
- red cabbage, shredded
- green cabbage, shredded
- fresh lemon juice
- mayonnaise of choice
- prepared mustard of choice
- caraway seeds, crushed
- cumin seeds, crushed
- pitted green olives, halved or sliced
- toasted pecans, chopped
- chile powder (optional)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Microwave the unhusked ear of corn until steaming or steam or boil the shucked ear of corn, 2 to 3 minutes for either method. Let cool and slice the kernels from the cob into a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage to the bowl and drizzle with lemon juice. Stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, caraway and cumin seeds, olives, pecans, and chile powder, if using. Toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill or serve at room temperature.