Many recipes simmer carrots with dried fruit and citrus, so why not try beets in place of the carrots and see what happens? If you don’t want your mixture to turn red, use Chioggia or golden beets instead of red beets. Serve with brown rice or your favorite grain and a side of greens (spinach, chard, kale, or collards) cooked with olive oil and garlic.
- coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil, or ghee
- onion, cut into half-moons
- beets, diced
- dried fruit, such as prunes, apricots, raisins, cherries, and/or cranberries
- fresh lemon juice
- orange zest and juice
- walnut pieces
- parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large covered saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and beets and cook until slightly softened. Cut prunes and apricots into small pieces and add to pan. Stir in citrus juices with an equal amount of water. Add orange zest, walnuts, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer, covered, until all ingredients are soft and integrated, adding water as needed so the mixture doesn’t burn. Adjust seasonings. Serve with more walnut pieces and parsley on top.