I love a hearty soup in the winter. This one satisfies, with one or two beets for sweetness—pink Chioggia or golden beets don’t bleed like red beets, but if you don’t mind a scarlet-colored soup, use red beets. If you don’t have beets, no worries.
- extra-virgin olive oil or ghee
- onions, diced
- shallot, diced
- mushrooms, sliced
- potatoes, chopped
- beets, trimmed, scrubbed, and diced
- homemade broth, store-bought broth, or water
- garlic, minced
- broccoli, chopped
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and shallot and cook, covered, for a minute. Add mushrooms, potatoes, beet, and salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften. Add broth to cover and simmer, covered, until broth is flavored by the vegetables, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and broccoli and cook, covered, until broccoli is softened. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup a little, keeping the soup chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.