A friend (thank you, Seema) inspired this recipe. You can use any vegetables you have on hand, but potatoes definitely add a nice heft. I add ginger and garlic late in the cooking process for a stronger flavor; for a milder ginger and garlic flavor, add them earlier. Serve the vegetables with basmati rice or your favorite grain.
- extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- cumin seeds
- asafetida (optional)
- sweet peppers, chopped
- jalapeño chiles, chopped
- mushrooms, sliced
- potatoes, diced
- small cabbage, cored and chopped
- fresh ginger minced
- garlic, minced
- kale, center ribs removed and leaves chopped
- chile powder, such as New Mexico
- coriander powder
- garam masala
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin and asafoetida if using. Cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add peppers, chiles, mushrooms, and potatoes. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened. Add cabbage and salt, cover, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally.
- When cabbage is just wilted and vegetables are soft, stir in ginger, garlic, and kale and cook until kale is wilted. Add seasonings, stir, cover, and cook 1 more minute.