Satisfying contrasts make up this dish: Cooked rice broiled until crispy, then topped with tender, tasty spinach. This recipe is perfect for that leftover rice in your fridge because previously cooked rice is drier—and easier to crisp—than freshly steamed.
- cooked brown rice
- extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
- super-firm tofu or seasoned baked tofu, diced
- tamari, ponzu, soy sauce, or soy sauce alternative
- Sriracha chili sauce
- toasted sesame oil
- tahini (sesame paste)
- spinach, washed and spun dry
- Heat broiler in a toaster oven or regular oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Add rice in one thin layer to the baking sheet and broil until toasted and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and tofu and cook without stirring for a few minutes, then cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted and soft. Serve spinach mixture over crispy rice.