This combo doesn’t sound like much, but it really works—even the Soup Hater had second helpings and said it was delicious. Instead of oil, I used homemade ghee because it added a caramelized flavor.
- extra-virgin olive oil, ghee, or butter
- onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- turnips, peeled if you like and thinly sliced
- potatoes, thinly sliced
- homemade vegetable broth or store-bought broth
- collard greens, center ribs removed and leaves chopped
- parsley, chopped
- super-firm tofu, diced (optional)
- pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Turn heat to low and add turnips, potatoes, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add broth to cover by an inch. Simmer for a few minutes. Add collard greens; cook until greens are soft. If you like, use an immersion blender to coarsely blend the soup, leaving big vegetable pieces.
- Serve topped with parsley and tofu and pumpkin seeds if you like.