The potato crisp looks like lace, so it adds a festive quality to any meal. A bit of shredding, a few moments in the toaster oven or oven, and voilà!
To avoid injuring yourself on the hand-held grater when shredding your potatoes, poke a fork through the very end of the potato, then hold the fork for more leverage and to keep the grater away from your fingertips.
Variations: Mix in grated onion and spices like chile or chili powder, curry powder, garlic powder, ground coriander, crushed dried rosemary, or seasoning mixes.
- waxy potatoes, such as yellow, red, or purple varieties, scrubbed
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat toaster oven or oven to 375º F. Dry potatoes with a kitchen towel.
- Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with a small amount of oil.
- Shred the potatoes onto the parchment paper. Using a fork or a spatula, press the potatoes into one thin layer, about ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Bake until cooked through, checking every 5 minutes, then put under the broiler until browned. Let cool for a few minutes, then peel away from the parchment paper and serve.