Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes—can’t get enough of them. This easy method of steaming, smashing, and roasting provides crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside pillowy pancakes. Inspired by Leaf.
Smashed and roasted potato pancakes
We served these potato cakes alongside a large green salad for dinner. If you don’t have fresh rosemary, crumble dried rosemary on the potatoes after they are roasted or top with fresh chopped parsley instead.
- potatoes, fingerlings or small potatoes
- extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- sliced almonds
- Steam potatoes until soft but not mushy. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven or toaster oven to 450º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer potatoes to baking sheet. Smash lightly with a pastry knife or a flat plate.
- Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with fresh rosemary, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake until outsides are sizzling and crispy, about 15 minutes. Turn over and continue baking until second side is crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with hummus and almonds.