Based on a forage in my refrigerator and an idea from a friend (thanks, Pam!), I created this unlikely but successful combination to bring to a potluck dinner picnic.
Kale-cabbage slaw with strawberries
If you have it on hand, leftover brown rice added heft although it disappeared into the slaw (no one knew it was there), and shredded carrot could add color, crunch, and a bit of sweetness.
- kale, center rib removed and leaves shredded
- cabbage, shredded
- sweet pepper, chopped
- green onion, thinly sliced
- ripe, organic strawberries, sliced
- leftover brown rice (optional)
- balsamic vinegar
- extra-virgin olive oil
- pumpkin seeds
- toasted sunflower seeds
- toasted sesame oil
- Mix kale, cabbage, sweet pepper, onion, strawberries, and rice, if using, in a large bowl. Toss with vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for an hour or so, tossing occasionally.
- If you have time, allow slaw to come to room temperature. Add seeds and sesame oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.