From my favorite Sunday Brunch Chef: Here’s a way to combine a yolky baked egg with tasty sautéed vegetables and packaged precooked polenta for an impressive weekend breakfast.
Eggs baked with herbed veggies and polenta
You can prepare individual servings in 4-inch ramekins or an all-in-one casserole dish. I enjoyed my baked eggs with corn tortillas and a side dish of garlicky cooked spinach and kale. Yum!
- olive oil
- chopped onion or sliced leek
- sliced mushrooms
- diced sweet peppers
- chopped hot chiles, red chile flakes, or chile powder (optional)
- minced garlic
- chopped parsley
- chopped cilantro
- fresh or dried thyme
- packaged precooked polenta cut into ½-in. rounds
- hard cheese, cut into slices (optional)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Cook onion, mushrooms, peppers, and chiles if using in olive oil. When vegetables are soft, move them to one side of the pan. Add more oil to the pan, and cook garlic in oil until translucent but not browned, about 1 minute. Stir in herbs and spices. Set aside.
- Oil ramekins or casserole dish. Set polenta slices on the bottom of ramekins or casserole. Put under broiler to brown a bit, then turn oven to 350º.
- Layer vegetable mixture on top of polenta. Create a well in the vegetables. Add cheese if using. Crack an egg into each well.
- Put ramekins or casserole in oven and bake until eggs are set but loose, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with more fresh herbs. Turn oven to broil to finish cooking the eggs the way you like them.