The specialty of one of the farmers at the farmers’ market is growing his sweet, crunchy Asian cucumbers in hoop houses so he can offer them to his customers before anyone else. When cukes come to the farmers’ market, it means summer is just around the corner. Today he brought his first picking, which inspired this refreshing, summery salad that we ate with dinner.
Quick pickled cucumber salad
- spring onion or red onion, diced
- Asian, English, or Persian cucumber, diced
- other raw vegetables, such as salad turnip or fennel bulb, diced (optional)
- jalapeño or other fresh chile, minced
- rice vinegar or your favorite vinegar
- vegan or regular mayonnaise
- mustard aioli or your favorite mustard
- Sriracha chili sauce (optional)
- Mix together the vegetables in a bowl. Add enough vinegar just to barely touch all of the vegetables. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Chill for 30 or 45 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- When ready to serve, stir in a dollop of mayonnaise, mustard, and Sriracha if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.