Here’s an easy, tasty way to use up those ripe summer tomatoes that are calling to you from their basket on the counter. For a vegan version, substitute baked tofu for the cheese.
Mediterranean bread salad with fresh tomatoes
- ripe tomatoes, chopped
- chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- fresh mozzarella, diced
- jalapeño, minced
- scallion, thinly sliced
- pesto or chopped fresh basil leaves and minced garlic
- balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- chopped parsley or cilantro
- green olives, chopped
- pine nuts
- shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- ciabatta, pain au levain, whole-wheat walnut, or your favorite bread, toasted and cut into bite-size pieces
Put the tomatoes and their juices in a large bowl with the chickpeas, mozzarella, jalapeño, scallion, pesto, vinegar, parsley, olives, pine nuts, and parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, add bread and toss again.