The gold beets, yellow-fleshed potatoes, and Dijon mustard give this simple salad a sunny glow.
Golden summer salad
- 6 medium gold beets
- 4 medium yellow-fleshed potatoes, like Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold
- 3 Asian or Mediterranean thin-skinned cucumbers or 1 English cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise, Vegenaise, or olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- Trim beets to leave 2 in. stems if greens are attached (leave root ends untrimmed). Rinse and put in a large saucepan. Add potatoes and water to cover by 1 in. Simmer covered until tender when pierced, about 25 minutes (pull out potatoes as they become tender). Drain and transfer potatoes to a cutting board to cool.
- Add cold water to saucepan to cool beets. When cool to the touch, slip off beet skins, stems, and root ends. Transfer to the cutting board. Cube the potatoes and cut beets into half-moons.
- Put potatoes and beets in a large bowl. Add the cucumbers and basil.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Add lemon juice and salt to taste. Pour dressing over the salad and toss. Make more dressing if needed.
- Top with sunflower seeds right before serving.